Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Deceptively decadent chocolate biscuit ideal with coffee, after dinner or as a small treat. Children absolutely adore them, have a similar texture to shortbread only better.
- 200 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup corn flakes, slightly crushed
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons water
- walnuts (to decorate)
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, sift together flour and cocoa and mix into butter mix, then fold in corn flakes and coconut.
- Put teaspoonful balls onto lightly greased or baking paper covered trays.
- Bakes at 180°C for 15-20 minutes.
- Makes about 30 biscuits.
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa together, add enough water to get a spreading consistency, ice biscuits, decorate with walnuts.
These 'cookies' were one of my favorite things when I went to new zealand. One of these with a 'flat white' and my day was complete!
A Kiwi favourite, I must have made these over 500 times by now. Never used coconut though as hubby doesn't like it. And switched the cornflakes for all those weetbix crumbs you get at the bottom of the packet, its a great way to use them up. Of course, I stick to Cornflakes and use GF flour for my caeliac friend too. Sensational, so crumbly and buttery. And just have to have a big dollop of choc icing and half a walnut on top, its compulsory.
Recently got back from NZ and we fell in love with these biscuits / cookies. I sure was glad to find this recipe!