1/6 Photos of Anchovy Crostini
This recipe was in the Australian Womens Weekly Italian cookbook. This crostini recipe is really good. My friends love them. I usually keep some toast rounds on hand so I can make them up in a hurry. Serve them at a cocktail party or as an appetizer before dinner. I make up a batch of the anchovie mix split it into four place each in small plastic bag & freeze for future use - , I have also frozen the toasts with the anchovie spread on them then just decorate before popping into the oven.. I prefer freezing the spread separately.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 slices white bread (or 24 slices of a baguette)
- 1 ounce virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3 ounces mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (50 g) can rolled anchovy fillets
- 6 stuffed olives
- 1/4 red pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1Cut 2" circles from the bread (or use the 1/4" baguette slices).
- 2Brush both sides of the bread with the olive oil.
- 3Place on a cookie sheet and bake in moderate oven for 10 min or until golden brown (You can make up a whole lot of these toasts for future use as they store well in a closed tin).
- 4Melt butter in a frypan.
- 5Add flour, mixing well and cook for 1 minute.
- 6Add milk and stir over moderate heat until it boils& thickens, remove from heat.
- 7Add 3 tbsp parmesan,Salt& pepper& mushrooms.
- 8Mix well.
- 9Add anchovy paste and stir through. The mixture looks a bit loose but it will bake perfectly
- 10Spread 2 teasp on each toast and generously sprinkle with the extra parmesan. I do this just before I am ready to bake them. however it can be done and then freeze them for future use
- 11Slice the olives and put a slice of olive on some of the crostinis.
- 12Put a rolled anchovy on some.
- 13Put a thin slice on red pepper on the remaining crostinis.
- 14Bake in a hot oven (400F degrees) for 10 minutes or until they are bubbly and brown on top.
- 15Serve and wait for the rave revues.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Anchovy Crostini
Serving Size: 1 (836 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 76.6
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 8.4 mg
- Sodium 198.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: