Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The story is these biscuits became popular during WWI when wives would make these for their soldier husbands because of their firmness and since they don't go bad quickly. In the States, Golden Syrup is becoming more available. I can find it in the British section of my grocery store and just recently found it in the baking aisle. If you can't find it, you may use 2 parts light corn syrup to 1 part honey as a substitute. I'm submitting this for ZWT and am just guessing on the yield since I haven't made this yet.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Sift the flour and combine with the oats, coconut, and brown sugar.
- Melt the butter and Golden Syrup in a saucepan over low heat.
- Mix the baking soda with water and add to the Golden Syrup and butter. Pour into the flour mixture and mix well.
- Put dollops about 1 tbsp large onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.