1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
I found this on an Australian food blog. If you don't have self-raising/rising flour you may use all-purpose flour, just add 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt to each cup all-purpose flour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 75 g of chilled butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 gala apples or 2 pink lady apples, grated
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 banana, sliced when serving
- golden syrup or maple syrup
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 350°F
- 2Grease a baking tray and line it with parchment paper, then set aside.
- 3Mix the flour, salt, sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- 4Add the grated apple and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- 5Add the milk and cold water, stir with a wooden spoon until you have a sticky dough.
- 6Either turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth, about 4 times.
- 7Shape into a 15-20 cm (6-8 inches) round and placed on baking tray. Rub some flour on a sharp knife and score the damper into 8 wedges.
- 8Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Tap the bread, and if it sounds hollow it's ready.
- 9Allow bread to stand on tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool the rest of the way.
- 10Slice and serve with butter, sliced banana and drizzled with maple syrup or golden syrup.
Browse Our Top South West Pacific Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All South West Pacific Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple and Cinnamon Damper
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.7
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 22.1 mg
- Sodium 812.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 5.9 g