Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Diabetes Australia The Ultimate Diabetes Cookbook in response to a request for diabetic friendly recipes with nuts. Times are estimated.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Spray loaf tin or square cake tin with oil and line with baking paper.
- Combine the milk and all bran in a mixing bowl and soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the flour, brown sugar, dried fruits, hazelnuts and bicarbonate of soda and mix well.
- Pour mix into prepared tin and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
This is so good, it reminded me when my mum used to make a bran loaf it was a bit different from this one, hers had raisins. I think apricots and peaches have a lower GI than raisins so they are much better for us diabetics. I did think there was a lot of fruit in it and the next time I will just add one cup of fruit but it was very good. I love fruit cake of any kind and it's nice to know now I am diabetic I can still have this. The girls at work will love this so so nice. Thank you for posting. made for diabetic month November 2010
Great loaf with or without butter. This will go into the school lunches really well and as it makes a decent size I may well freeze half. I used chopped almonds instead of the hazels and fruit medley and loved the result - any loaf/cake with cereal is my sort of thing so Pat - many thanks.