Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a fridge emptying out concoction with a Thai type flavour. It is very mild and my toddler went beserk over the pumpkin cooked in this way. It's nice to hear a toddler ask for more!
- 500 g pumpkin, cubed
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄3 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄3 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut into pieces big enough to find and fish out at the end
- 1 cube vegetarian chicken flavored broth mix, eg massel
- 1 cup water
- 60 g dry coconut powder
- 1⁄2 red capsicum, chopped into pieces
- 1⁄2 zucchini, small and chopped into small pieces
- Dry fry the spices in a wok for a couple of minutes before adding the oil and then the onion.
- Saute the onion for a couple of minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, the lemon grass and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Crumble the'chicken' stock cube into the mix, and the coconut powder.
- Add water and mix well.
- Allow to cook for a few minutes so that the water slightly reduces and the pumpkin starts to become cooked.
- Add the capsicum and zucchini and allow to cook until these are slightly tender.
- Fish out the lemongrass or at least warn the family to fish out the lemongrass!
- Serve with rice.
Absolutely delicious! I used canned coconut milk (light) instead of coconut powder. And freshly ground spices, which is worth the extra effort just for the smell of it. Also used a lot of Thai red chili peppers to make a more spicy curry. It tastes even better warmed up the next day!