This recipe is one I found in "Good Housekeeping" magazine a good while ago. It gives a subtle flavor to the lamb and, to my way of thinking, is simply excellent.
- Rub the lamb with the cut side of the garlic cloves.
- Discard garlic.
- In a mortar with pestle, crush fennel, cumin, and coriander seeds.
- (Or, place seeds in a heavy weight plastic bag; use rolling pin to crush the seeds) In a small bowl combine crushed seeds with Olive Oil and salt Using your hands rub the lamb with the crushed seed mixture Place lamb on BBQ over medium heat.
- Cook 15-20 minutes (for medium-rare) turning occasionally.
- Or cook until it reaches your preferred doneness.
- Thickness of butterflied lamb will vary throughout: cut off sections of lamb as they are cooked to your liking and keep warm.
- If desired serve with lemon wedges.