1/1 Photo of Asian Beef & Vegetable Casserole
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 50 mins
bluemoon downunder's Note:
Enjoy Asian flavours but wanting a low cost meal? Then this recipe - which uses slow-cooking to get lots of flavour from some of the cheaper cuts of beef - may be just what you're looking for. Michelle Southan's recipe for Asian Beef and Vegetable Casserole is from the August 2007 issue of the 'Australian Good Taste' magazine. Michelle suggests that you "put away your wok and get ready for aromatic slow-cooked beef, Asian style". Some conversions which may be useful in making this recipe: 90g = 3oz; 300g = approx. 91/2oz; 1.5 kg = 3lbs; 4cm = 11/2"; 125ml = 4 fluid ounces; 500ml = 16 fluid ounces.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 1/2 kg casserole beef steaks, cut into 4cm pieces (such as chuck steak or gravy beef)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onions (for Americans) or 1 brown onion, halved, thinly sliced (for Australians)
- 3 carrots, peeled, cut into 2cm-thick slices
- 4 whole star anise
- 4 cm fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, pale section only, halved
- 500 ml beef stock
- 125 ml brandy
- 90 g tomato paste
- 300 g green beans, topped
- fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- steamed rice, to serve
- 1Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°-375°F/4-5 gas mark; place the flour on a plate and season with salt and pepper, add the beef and toss to coat; shake off any excess.
- 2Heat half the oil in a 4L (16-cup) capacity flameproof, ovenproof casserole dish over a medium heat; add half the beef and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until brown; transfer the cooked beef pieces to a plate; repeat with remaining oil and beef, reheating the dish between batches.
- 3Add the onion and carrot to the pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft; add the star anise, ginger and lemon grass, and stir to combine.
- 4Add the beef, stock, brandy and tomato paste to the dish; cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours or until the beef is tender.
- 5Meanwhile, cook the beans in a medium saucepan of boiling water for 3-4 minutes or until they are bright green and tender crisp; drain.
- 6Add the beans to the beef mixture and stir to combine.
- 7Top the beef mixture with coriander and serve with steamed rice.
- 8FREEZING TIPS: Cool at the end of step 6; transfer to an airtight container; lbel, date and freeze for up to three months; thaw in the fridge overnight; reheat the oven to 180°C (see above for conversions); reheat and continue from step 7.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Beef & Vegetable Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 880.4
- Calories from Fat 408
- Total Fat 45.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 167.5 mg
- Sodium 537.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 50.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: