A really easy damper recipe- I remember making these when I was still at school. To make a savoury damper, you can really add any herbs of choice, such as chopped parsley, chives, cracked black pepper. Damper is usually served with lashings of butter or for a sweet damper with butter, honey, golden syrup or strawberry jam
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 25 g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 175 ml milk
For a cheese damper -option)
- 110 g tasty cheese or 100 g cheddar cheese
For a sweet damper -option
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup or 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sultana (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180-190°F.
- Using a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour and the salt.
- Add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips.
- Add the milk and stir it in with a rounded blad knife/butterknife. The dough should be fairly soft, but not too sticky.
- Tourn out onto a lightly floured board and shape into a soft smooth ball.
- Place the damper ball onto a baking sheet and flatten gently. Cut a cross into the top of the damper and brush with a little milk.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Variations- for the cheese damper add 100 grams of cheese before adding the milk. Add any extra herbs of choice. Sprinkle with a little extra cheese before baking.
- For the sweet damper- add the sweet ingredients with the milk.