1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Aussies love meringues and these combine perfectly with an American Key Lime Pie! Am I selling ice to Eskimos here??? This lovely, creamy Key Lime Pie is adapted from a Delia Smith recipe and I've added an optional meringue topping made from the left-over egg whites. The secret to this pie's velvety texture is not to overcook it. Otherwise it's simple to make and you can, of course, omit the meringue topping if time is an issue. Another benefit of this pie is that it can be made well ahead - or even frozen - so it's a great dinner party or picnic recipe. Try it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 9-inch graham cracker crusts (or similar) or 1 (200 g) packet digestive biscuits (in Australia I use Nice Biscuits)
- 120 g butter, melted
- 1 large lime rind, of finely grated
- 3 large limes, juice of
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 (395 g) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 large egg whites (optional)
- 175 g white sugar (caster sugar if available) (optional)
- whipped cream (optional)
- 1If not using a prepared crust: Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- 2Process biscuits in a food processor then add melted butter.
- 3Pulse several times until butter is well mixed with biscuit crumbs. (Alternatively, place biscuits into a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Tip biscuit crumbs into a mixing bowl, then stir in melted butter.)
- 4Place a loose based 23cm (9") flan dish on an oven tray.
- 5Tip crumb mixture into the flan tin.
- 6Using your hands, press crumbs firmly into the base and sides of the tin.
- 7Place flan tin (on its oven tray) onto the centre shelf of the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- 8Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl and using an electric mixer, beat together the egg yolks and the lime zest until the yolks thicken and the beaters leave a 'trail' in the mixture (about 2 minutes).
- 9Now add the condensed milk.
- 10Beat until mixture thickens and beaters leave a 'trail' in the mixture (about 4-5 minutes).
- 11Add the lime juice and mix briefly to combine.
- 12When the crust is ready, remove it from the oven and pour in the filling.
- 13Reduce the oven temperature slightly to about 170C (325F).
- 14Place the pie on the centre shelf of the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes being careful not to overcook it.
- 15Remove pie (on its tray) from oven when the centre is JUST set.(This gives a smoother textured pie.)
- 16Allow the pie to cool, then cover and chill in the refrigerator. (Note: If topping with meringue, simply cover the pie with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill. However, the plastic wrap tends to stick and ruin the smooth surface so, if not hiding this with a topping, cover it with an upturned dinner plate.)
- 17Meringue Topping (optional): Reset (or preheat) oven to 150C (300F).
- 18Grease two baking sheets/oven trays/cookie trays.
- 19In a small mixing bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form (make sure your beaters are scrupulously clean and dry).
- 20Gradually add sugar, beating between each addition.
- 21Beat until mixture is thick and glossy.
- 22Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a medium sized fluted piping tube.
- 23Pipe small meringues, about 5cm (2") high onto greased trays.(Alternatively, drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto the trays).
- 24Place trays on centre shelves of oven and immediately reduce temperature to 140C (275F).
- 25Cook for one hour (1 1/4 hours if you prefer a completely dry center), but do not remove meringues from oven.
- 26Turn off heat and leave overnight (or at least until the oven is completely cool).
- 27If not serving the pie immediately, store meringues at room temperature in an airtight jar or tin. They will keep well for several days.
- 28When ready to serve the pie, spread a thin layer of whipped cream over the top and decorate with meringues.
- 29(Serve extra meringues separately or store for later use).
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aussie Key Lime Pie
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 437.0
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 127.5 mg
- Sodium 322.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 38.6 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: