This is from a book Simply Delicious Austaralian Lamb for Any Occasion. Posted for the World Tour.
Make and share this Aussie Lamb Burgers With Goat Cheese and Tomato Relish recipe from Food.com.
- 1 3⁄4 lbs ground lamb
- 1 shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 6 -8 large basil leaves, julienned
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal, for coating (or flour)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for cooking
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 kaiser rolls, split (or hamburger buns)
- 2 -3 tablespoons soft fresh goat cheese (or chevre)
- To make the burgers:.
- Combine the ground lamb, shallot, capers, basil and pepper in a large bowl and mix well. Divide mixture into four burgers. Spread cornmeal(or flour) over a plate and press burgers into the mixture to coat. Preheata barbeque(or broiler) and brush with oil. Cook the burgers over a medium high heat for 6-7 minutes each side or until cooked as desired.
- To make the relish:.
- Place the tomatoes and onion into a preheated saute pan with the olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes. Add sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and let cool. Grill the buns(or broil), cut side down, until lightly toasted. Spread with goat cheese and top with the burgers. Serve with the tomato relish. Enjoy!
I made the burgers as directed (used the broiler to cook) but used some homemade tomato jam (made from my garden tomatoes earlier in the year) in place of the tomato relish. Love the combo of the goat cheese with the lamb & tomato jam. Thanks for sharing!
I actually picked this recipe more for the burger part than the relish so please keep that in mind when reading. I had some 'outback spirit' bbq sauce, so I added a dash of that and an egg to the meat mix before coating in panko. We skipped making the relish and instead built up the burgers with a tomato, lettuce, red onions and the goats cheese and used some of my home made chilli sauce on it. Also fried a little bit of haloumi and added that too. So yeah, a bit of a deviation, but this was a great inspiration. Thanks for sharing. Made for My Food Odyssey.
These burgers are to die for! I especially loved the tomato relish, and as easy as it is to make I'll probably do all the time now in place of boring old ketchup. Thanks for sharing this winner!