Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 mins
This sounds really good! Submitted for ZWT '06
Make and share this Aussie Shrimp on the Barbie With Orange Ginger Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 12 jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined (tails intact.)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 scallions, tops and white, minced
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, freshly grated
- Soak 12 long wooded skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Push skewers through shrimp lengthwise from top to tail, 1 shrimp per skewer.
- Combine all other ingredients in saucepan and cook over low to medium heat, stirring, until butter is completely melted.
- Dip skewered shrimp in orange sauce and position on oiled grill rack about 4 inches above the coals.
- Baste liberally with sauce and grill for 2 minutes.
- Turn shrimp over and baste again, cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Smaller shrimp will be done at this point, but continue basting and turning larger shrimp until they are pink and cooked through.
- Remove from heat immediately when done, as they will get tough if overcooked.
- Use any remaining sauce for a dip for shrimp.
Tonight I made two different shrimp on the barbie recipes and this one was our favorite. We liked the taste of the ginger (did add more than called for) and the citrus flavor was a nice companion to the shrimp. Made for ZWT8.
I found this delicious but a little bit incomplete -- in my humble opinion, the sauce needed something of a starchy or sugary nature to help the sauce cling to and glaze the shrimp. That said, the combination of flavors is excellent and the lack of sugar is also a benefit to those of us watching our glucose. Made for ZWT5. (P.)
ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS SHRIMP, & the sauce is great tasting! Making has reminded me of how much I enjoy shrimp AND how seldom I have it at home! Thanks, much, for a great keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed while touring Australia with ZWT5]