A deliciously different recipe for spiced nuts which I came across this afternoon in the current issue of the Australian magazine 'Woman's Day', and with my usual impatience just had to make this evening, with a few modifications - minus the chilli powder to meet our taste preferences - but I'd certainly make these complete with the chilli powder for friends, and have left the chilli powder in as an ingredient. In making these, I increased the garlic from 1 to 2 cloves, and I minced it rather than crushing it. I used cashews, macadamias and hazelnuts. Why, oh why do I keep buying all these magazines each week? Spot on if you guessed to check out their latest recipes! And it was worth buying this week's just to have found this recipe! These would be demolished very quickly if served with other appetisers and drinks, and they'd be a great addition to salads and stir-fries - if they lasted that long! :) Don't add salt - or add it sparingly - if your nuts are already salted.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons flaked sea salt or 2 teaspoons flaked sea salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 500 g mixed unsalted nuts (peanuts, cashews, macadamias, hazelnuts) or 16 ounces mixed unsalted nuts (peanuts, cashews, macadamias, hazelnuts)
- Preheat the oven to moderate (180°C/350°-375°F/4-5 gasmark); and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- In a large pan, combine the olive oil, paprika, maple syrup, garlic, salt flakes, chilli and pepper; stir over a low heat until the syrup has melted and the mixture is well-combined; add the nuts and stir until they are evenly coated with the spice mixture; spread on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally; remove and set aside to cool before serving.
- TIP: These Aussie Spiced Nuts can be made 2 days ahead and stored in an airtight container. I cannot advise as to how they'd last beyond the two days as I cannot even imagine them lasting that long!