Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Low Fat One Dish Recipes From Around The World.
Make and share this Australian Crab and Asparagus Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery & tops
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups lump crabmeat
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced asparagus spears
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Saute the onion, celery, carrot, garlic and shallots, stirring occasionally, till vegetables are soft (about 5 minutes).
- Sprinkle with flour and stir quickly to combine.
- Add the milk, stirring constantly, and cook till sauce is smooth.
- Add the water, sherry, rice, worcestershire, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper and lemon zest.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the crab and asparagus.
- Cover the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, till the soup is thickened and the asparagus is cooked.
- Discard bay leaf and serve.
I made this lovely soup as a starter course for our part of a dinner party last nite. I did chg the final presentation, used canned asparagus & made 1 addition out of need. I added the asparagus earlier than stated, pureed the soup after Step 5 & then added cooked rice + 1 cup Icelandic baby shrimp (only because 2 guests were added for dinner at the last min). It was a *huge hit* ~ everyone had at least 2 cup-size servings & 1 of the added guests even had a 3rd! We loved this! Thx for sharing the recipe w/us & our friends who loved it as well. :-)
This soup was outstanding. What a perfect balance of the richness of milk-based soup with the delicate crab, both of them complemented by a touch of acid from the lemon zest, as well as the vibrant freshness of asparagus. This is a real winner, and I think everyone should try it.
My husband was hesitant, but we both thought it was great!!!