Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From the archives of The Australian Women's Weekly magazine. Sauce mixture can be made a day ahead. Complete the pies close to serving.
- 4 medium spring onions (with mature white bulbs)
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 medium carrot, chopped finely
- 2 sticks celery, trimmed, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup fish stock
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless white fish fillets, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1 -2 sheet ready-rolled butter puff pastry
- Trim spring onions, leaving about 2" of the stems. Cut one spring onion into four slices lengthways and reserve for the tops of the pies. Chop remaining spring onions coarsely.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan; add remaining onions with carrot and celery. Cook, stirring, until vegetables soften.
- Add flour to saucepan; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add stock and cream; cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Stir in lemon juice and mustard.
- Add fish to pan, stir gently. Cover, simmer until fish is just cooked. Gently stir in herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Spoon mixture into 4 ovenproof dishes (1-cup capacity); place on oven tray. Brush dish edges with egg, top with pastry; trim. Brush pastry with more egg and top with reserved onion.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven for about 25 minutes or until pastry is puffed and browned.