Az B's Note:
From allrecipes: "Lamingtons are little sponge cakes coated in chocolate and grated coconut. A traditional Australian treat that appeals to most. Any firm type of plain cake can be used: butter-cake, pound-cake, Madeira cake or genoise sponge. Note: desiccated coconut is a slightly dried shredded coconut - not sweetened"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 3Grease and flour an 8x12 inch rectangular pan.
- 4Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- 5In a large bowl cream together the 1/2 cup butter, 3/4 cup sugar and the vanilla until light and fluffy.
- 6Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- 7Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk; beat well.
- 8Pour the batter into the pan.
- 9Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- 10Let stand 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Store overnight to give the cake a chance to firm up before Icing.
- 12In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa.
- 13In a saucepan, heat milk and 2 teaspoons butter until the butter is melted.
- 14Add the milk to the sugar mixture and mix well to create a fluid, but not too runny, Icing.
- 15Puting It All Together:.
- 16Cut the cake into 24 squares.
- 17Place coconut in a shallow container.
- 18Using a fork, dip each square into the icing, then roll it in the coconut.
- 19Place onto a rack to dry. The icing will drip, so place something underneath to catch it.
- 20Continue for each piece.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Australian Lamington
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.1
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 31.7 mg
- Sodium 166.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 34.1 g
- Protein 2.8 g