Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
from "perfect endings"
Make and share this Australian Squares recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, lemon rind, and vanilla and blend well. Beat in the egg yolk.
- Add the flour mixture and the chocolate.
- Beat the egg white until stiff but not dry. Beat in 1/4 cup brown sugar gradually till stiff and glossy. Fold into semi-sweet mixture.
- Pour in waxed paper-lined 8" square pan and bake at 375 F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle confectioners' sugar over top while warm, if desired.
- Cool and cut in 2" squares.