Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
Make and share this Australian Toaster Biscuits (crumpets) recipe from Food.com.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.
- Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- To make crumpet rings, cut aluminum foil into 7x12 inch pieces.
- Fold in half lengthwise and then in thirds, making 6 layers.
- Form into a 3 1/2 inch diameter circle and tape shut on the outside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour and salt.
- Stir in the milk, oil and yeast mixture.
- Beat well until smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 60 minutes.
- Lightly grease or butter the inside of the crumpet rings and dip the rings in cornmeal.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium low heat.
- Sprinkle cornmeal on the griddle and place the rings on the griddle.
- Deflate the batter by stirring.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter into each ring.
- Cook slowly for about 10 minutes or until pale brown.
- Carefully remove the rings and turn the bisquits over.
- Bake on second side about 8 minutes or until light brown.
- Transfer to a rack to cool.