bluemoon downunder's Note:
The contrasting colours in this salad are appealing to the eye and the subtle combination of flavours is divine. This is a great brunch or lunch dish, and in hot weather a dinner dish that I've found always proves to be popular. It caters so well for those NOT into hot and spicy dishes. Adapted from a recipe on a 'Pan or Wok' recipe card from International Masters.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 chicken breast fillets, skins removed
- 750 ml chicken stock
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 ripe avocado
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
Hazelnut Honey Dressing
- 1Place the chicken breasts in a pan, add the stock and lime juice, bring to the boil, then simmer for 20-25, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- 2Remove the chicken from the pan with a slotted spoon, set aside in a bowl and allow to cool.
- 3Cut the chicken into thin strips.
- 4Halve the avocado, remove the stone, peel the flesh and slice finely; halve the mango, remove the stone, peel the flesh and slice finely.
- 5In the serving bowl, toss the avocado, mango, chicken and baby spinach leaves.
- 6Hazelnut Honey Dressing: Roughly chop the nuts, whisk the oils, lime rind and juice, honey and soy sauce in a jug, then stir in the nuts.
- 7Serving: Pour the Hazelnut Honey Dressing over the avocado, mango, chicken and spinach mixture, and toss lightly until all the salad ingredients are well coated and serve with warm crusty rolls.
- 8Variation: For extra flavour, add some stir-fried, peeled tiger prawns to the salad mixture just before adding the Hazelnut Honey Dressing.
- 9Chef's Notes: If you are unable to find toasted nuts, dry-fry the raw nuts in a heavy-based pan for 5 minutes over a low heat, shaking regularly. If you are adding the tiger prawns, depending on how many you add, you may want to make a slightly larger quantity of the dressing.
- 10Hazelnut Fact: Hazelnuts are also known as filberts. According to tradition, the nuts are ripe for picking on 22 August, the feast day of Saint Philibert. I'm not sure which hemisphere this refers to. The original source of this recipe - and this 'fact' - is Australian, but I don't believe that there are any Australian Saint Philiberts! He's most probably a European saint.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Avocado Chicken Mango Salad With Hazelnut Honey Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 366.3
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 617.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chicken breast fillets