1/5 Photos of Avocado Vinaigrette
bluemoon downunder's Note:
Avocado Vinaigrette is a traditional Australian recipe for an entrée, which acknowledges that so scrumptious is the avocado that it is in little need of embellishment. For many Australians, eating this dish may well have been their introduction to avocados. This recipe is from the Australian publication by Reader's Digest of a book jam-packed with traditional Australian recipes: 'Family Recipe Scrapbook: tried and trusted recipes for today's cooks'. I bought the book in preparation for the 2005 Zaar World Tour, so I could track down familiar recipes I've eaten often and others I know by name but have either never eaten or have not eaten not at all recently, as well as others I have never made.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1The Vinaigrette: To make the vinaigrette, combine the olive oil, white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper to taste in a screw top jar, and shake well to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- 2The Avocado: Cut the avocados in half lengthways and gently twist the halves to separate. To remove the seed, insert a sharp knife into it, then twist and lift out.
- 3Brush the surfaces with lemon juice and place the avocado halves on 4 serving plates, shake the dressing again and drizzle it evenly over the avocado halves.
- 4Serve with buttered toast triangles (more traditional) or warm crusty rolls.
- 5Notes: An avocado is ripe if it feels a little soft when held in your hand. To help ripen an avocado, put it in a paper bag with a ripe banana or apple and store in an airy spot. You can now buy avocados that don't discolour when cut, but are they, I wonder, genetically modified?
Browse Our Top South West Pacific Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All South West Pacific Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Avocado Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.2
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 21.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar