Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
You can make this stuffing up to 2 days ahead and store in the fridge in an airtight container. Then reheat in the oven for 15 minutes before serving. As yet untested by me. From Super Food Ideas Christmas Special Dec 2006. NB Australian measurements: 1 cup = 250ml
- 60 g butter, chopped
- 60 ml olive oil
- 2 large brown onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250 g rindless bacon, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup currants
- 5 cups fresh breadcrumbs, made from day-old bread
- 3⁄4 cup macadamia nuts, roasted, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200C (390F).
- Using a large frying pan, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until onions are soft. Add currants and cook another 3 minutes.
- Combine breadcrumbs and nuts in a large bowl and add bacon mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Mix until combined (use your hands rather than a spoon or other utensil).
- Press mixture into lightly greased 1/3-cup muffin holes. Bake for 20-25 minutes - sutffin should be firm to touch in the centre and golden around the edges.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with turkey or pork.