From an old Woolworths mag..this is such a great side, the bacon really adds a lovely depth of flavour.
- Pre-heat oven to 180.C.
- Grease a 6 cup baking dish.
- Cook Cauliflower in boiling salted water for 5 mins or until just tender, drain well & arrange in baking dish.
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat and cook onion and half the bacon for 4 mins or until softened. Remove pan from heat, add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Return to heat & cook gently for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add milk, stirring continuously and bring to a boil. Add mustard, nutmeg, 1 cup cheese and season with salt & pepper. Stir until cheese has melted.
- Pour sauce over cauliflower & sprinkle with breadcrumbs and remaining cheese. Bake for 15 mins or until golden.
Scrumptious! I was looking for a recipe to use some leftover bacon and cauliflower, and came along this one. I wasn't sure what 40g of butter was, so I just tossed in a tbsp. and cooked it with all of the bacon and onions. I took out half the bacon and then made the sauce with the semi-cooked cauliflower & the bacon and onions left in the pan. When thickened, I poured it into the casserole, and mixed the rest of the cooked and chopped bacon with the breadcrumbs and grated cheddar cheese. A nice crunchy topping which went well with the creamy cauliflower mixture. Loved it!
One word for this Awesome!!! We all loved this recipe the addition of the onion and bacon is totally gorgeous and really adds that extra flavour to take this dish over the top. I did up the milk to 2 1/2 cups the cheese to 2 1/2 cups and used three tablespoons of flour as I was making 2 smaller cauliflowers. I also did a mix of tasty and Parmesan cheese. I was not sure where the extra bacon was supposed to go as you had it listed as add half the bacon to the onion mix and then nothing in the steps as to where the rest went. I thought maybe it was supposed to go on top with the breadcrumbs and cheese but as I was not sure if it would cook properly in the oven, I chose to add it all in with the onion mix, which worked out great. This was no biggy and did not detract from the recipe in any way. A total winner Mandy, a definite keeper and one that will be enjoyed a thousand times over in our house. A big thumbs up and worth every one of the 5 stars I gave it!!! :)