Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found this recipe when looking for verdelho wine food suggestions.
Make and share this Baked Eggs With Feta and Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- 3 ripe roma tomatoes, sliced
- 150 g feta, cut into 4 slices
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 green onions or 1⁄4 small Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Brush two 18cm shallow ovenproof bowls or plates with a little olive oil.
- Place 1 slice of toast in each bowl.
- Place tomato slices, slightly overlapping, in a circle around toast.
- Top with feta, then carefully crack an egg over the top of each.
- Scatter eggs with oregano, onion, paprika and cracked black pepper to taste, then drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Bake at 180C for 12-15 minutes or until egg whites are set but yolks remain runny.
- Serve immediately with remaining toasted bread.
OK...this IS a great, easy dish, TRUE! Would definately make again too! HOWEVER, after even 20 minutes whites were not baked enough for me! Under griller for additional 5 - 8 minutes this plate did see! I also like yolks hard, hubby soft too! So cracked yolk on mine when it started to settle too! Think 3 tomatoes could have been two, Also done with say 100 grams of feta, but maybe is personal taste, TRUE! I did make them in bowls separately, Was wondering if I put them in Pyrex casserole this next time...we'll see! THANKS! Hubby also added splash of worchester sauce too! :)
made these baked eggs on Sunday for breakfast. I liked them but DH wasn't fond of them. I think I could have baked them a little longer, I thought the whites were done but discovered in some of the "cracks" they were not cooked. I cooked four in a pie plate and I believe they would have been better done separately in bowls as instructed. Thanks for posting.