A diabetic friendly breakfast from recipe#
Make and share this Baked Spinach and Eggs recipe from Food.com.
- cooking spray (olive oil)
- 180 g spinach (English leaves stems removed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil spread (light)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheese (grated fat-reduced tasty or cheddar)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 eggs (room temperature)
- 4 spring onions (finely chopped)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 slices sourdough bread (toasted and lightly buttered to serve)
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan forced).
- Lightly spray 4 x 1 cup capacity oven proof dishes with oil.
- Place spinach and 1 tablespoon water in a medium saucepan over moderate heat and cook and stir for 3 minutes or until wilted and then drain and cool.
- Using hands, squeeze excess liquid from spinach and chop coarsely.
- Melt spread in a small saucepan over moderate heat and add flour and cook and stir for 1 minute or until bubbling and remove from heat and gradually stir in milk and increase heat to moderately high and cook stirring constantly until mix boils and thickens slightly and then remove from heat and stir in cheese and nutmeg until smooth.
- Whisk in 2 of the eggs until well combined and then add spinach and onion to cheese sauce.
- Pour mix into prepared dishes and using the back of a spoon make a slight indent at the centre of each dish and break an egg into each indent.
- Place ramekins on a baking tray and sprinkle with cayenne pepper and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until eggs are just set and then stand for 5 minutes before serving with buttered toast.
this was so good i love egg and spinach toghter
This is a delicious breakfast! I loved the nutmeg! I wanted my egg yolk to be runny, but the egg whites were still a clear gel while that was a possibility, so my yolk got a bit hard. I may play with the temperature to try and get it right. Even with a hard yolk, this was delicious!
A delicious way to serve eggs, I think I might have it as a lunch or supper given the steps involved in preparing it (my caffeine intake isn't high enough in the morning :) )