1/2 Photos of Baked Spinach and Eggs
A diabetic friendly breakfast from recipe#
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray (olive oil)
- 180 g spinach (English leaves stems removed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil spread (light)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup cheese (grated fat-reduced tasty or cheddar)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 eggs (room temperature)
- 4 spring onions (finely chopped)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 slices sourdough bread (toasted and lightly buttered to serve)
- 1Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan forced).
- 2Lightly spray 4 x 1 cup capacity oven proof dishes with oil.
- 3Place spinach and 1 tablespoon water in a medium saucepan over moderate heat and cook and stir for 3 minutes or until wilted and then drain and cool.
- 4Using hands, squeeze excess liquid from spinach and chop coarsely.
- 5Melt spread in a small saucepan over moderate heat and add flour and cook and stir for 1 minute or until bubbling and remove from heat and gradually stir in milk and increase heat to moderately high and cook stirring constantly until mix boils and thickens slightly and then remove from heat and stir in cheese and nutmeg until smooth.
- 6Whisk in 2 of the eggs until well combined and then add spinach and onion to cheese sauce.
- 7Pour mix into prepared dishes and using the back of a spoon make a slight indent at the centre of each dish and break an egg into each indent.
- 8Place ramekins on a baking tray and sprinkle with cayenne pepper and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until eggs are just set and then stand for 5 minutes before serving with buttered toast.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Spinach and Eggs
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 422.4
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 290.5 mg
- Sodium 681.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 26.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
olive oil spread