This recipe was found at www.sydneymarkets.com.au & is posted here for the Zaar World Tour 5. [NOTE: The recipe was edited on 17 May as per Tinkerbell's review!}
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lime, zest of, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 3 bananas (large, very ripe, mashed)
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup shredded coconut
FOR THE ICING
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, reduced fat, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- FOR THE CAKE: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then grease a 9-inch springform pan & line it with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, zest, lime juice, buttermilk & mashed bananas, then whisk together until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the butter & sugar until light & fluffy.
- Add banana mixture & beat on low until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour & baking soda, then add this to the banana/buttermilk mixture, whisking until well combined.
- With a large metal spoon, gently fold in only half of the coconut untl just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared springform pan & bake for 50 minutes or until golden & a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove the springform sides before transferring the cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a pan over medium heat, toast the remaining 1/3 cup of shredded coconut, stirring constantly, until golden in color, then remove from the heat.
- FOR THE ICING: In a bowl & using an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese & powdered sugar, & beat until smooth.
- Spread over the cake, then sprinkle with the toasted coconut before slicing & serving.