Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
A ginger, garlic and chilli marinade for prawns (shrimp) especially for your BBQ from the Australian Barbecue Kettle Cookbook. Preparation time does not include time to marinate.
- 1 1⁄2 kg raw prawns
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 5 cm ginger, peeled
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
- salt and pepper
- Shell and wash the prawns leaving the tails intact.
- Blend all the marinade ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Place prawns and marinade in bowl, cover and marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Remove from marinade.
- Cook in the BBQ with lid on for 8-15 minutes, or until cooked through (DO NOT OVERCOOK), depending on size.
Adding onion, 6 cloves of garlic, and ginger to lemon juice and olive oil gives you a wonderfully flavourful combination - the chili powder an unexpected touch that makes this marinade special. Have been doing skewers as starts/appetizers for our outdoor cookouts - this one went over big time!I think it would be great for chicken as well. One can't have too many combinations of marinades for those summer BBQ's! Thank you Jewelies - have added this to my collection.
Totally blah & tasteless!
Yummy! Even those that don't like spicy loved these. Definitely on my make again soon list.