1 hr 5 mins
Ian Snell's Note:
I got this recipe from an old mate of mine, Peter Howard. He is the resident chef on the Today Show here in OZ. I have worked with Peter for years and he has never led me astray with a 'crook' recipe yet, this is no exception. It is a little fiddly to prepare the Garlic Confit first, but once done you have a supply that will last a long time, and the flavour is superb.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (250 g) sirloin steaks, preferably 5 cm thick and marbled
- ground black pepper
- 250 g butter, at room temperature
- 8 cloves confited garlic, peeled (see how to make in recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 1Make sure the steaks are trimmed of all fat that you want – leave some on as this is a source of great flavour.
- 2Grind over with as much black pepper as you want and set to one side.
- 3Make the butter, which is better done the night before use.
- 4In a mixing bowl, mash all the ingredients together with a potato masher and then whisk to combine.
- 5The finished butter can then be placed in a serving bowl or rolled in grease proof paper to a sausage shape.
- 6The latter can be frozen and the former is best refrigerated.
- 7Cook the steak in a hot pan or on the open slat of your very hot barbeque – leave to sit for 2 minutes.
- 8Turn to cook on the other side.
- 9Cook the meat a further 2 minutes – turn onto a spot which has medium heat and cook for 3 minutes on each side and your steak will be cooked medium.
- 10If you want rare, cook it only 1 minute on each side and well done will need 5 minutes each side after the initial sealing of the meat.
- 11Lift meat onto a warmed plate and leave to sit for 3 minutes.
- 12Serve onto individual plates with the butter cut into rings, 3 cms thick; if using the bowl method, remove the butter from the refrigerator 20 minutes before use and serve with a spoon on the side.
- 13The butter is delicious as it melts over the steak.
- 14Serve with barbequed sliced potatoes and a green salad.
- 15GARLIC CONFIT----------.
- 16Trim about a third of the garlic head away and discard.
- 17Pack the whole garlic into a saucepan, root down and cover with the oil.
- 18Cook over really low heat for 1 hours – the garlic will brown slightly; the slower the cooking, the more flavour is released.
- 19Remove from the heat, cool and then pack into a suitable storage container with the oil.
- 20The garlic can be used wherever – great crushed and on heated ciabatta or in mayonnaises.
- 21The oil is sensational for salad dressings and cooking.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for BBQ Sirloin Steak Supreme
Serving Size: 1 (413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1092.9
- Calories from Fat 743
- Total Fat 82.6 g
- Saturated Fat 44.8 g
- Cholesterol 321.0 mg
- Sodium 590.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 57.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: