I spent an day looking after a family members home while workmen were there to install a new security entranceway (they are away on holiday) so to keep me busy I decided to go through their cookbooks looking for some recipes to post on 'zaar.
- 1 1⁄2 kg chuck or 1 1⁄2 kg blade steaks, cut into large cubes
- 60 g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons spanish paprika
- 400 g peeled tomatoes with juice
- 1 glass white wine or 1 glass red wine
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into large chunks
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Roll beef in flour mixed with paprika.
- Put into an enamelled, cast iron casserole that will hold all the ingredients comfortably with not too much extra space.
- Whiz tomatoes and their juice in a food processor, or crush roughly with a wooden spoon, then add to meat.
- Add remaining ingredients to casserole and stir.
- Press a piece of baking paper over contents and cover with lid. Cook in oven, undisturbed for 2 hours.
- Season to taste. Check if meat and potatoes are tender and if necessary cook longer.
- Serve with a bowl of yoghurt, perhaps a small bowl of sliced pickled dill cucumbers or if you are happy to use another pot, steamed cooked carrots or other vegetables alongside.