3 hrs 15 mins
I spent an day looking after a family members home while workmen were there to install a new security entranceway (they are away on holiday) so to keep me busy I decided to go through their cookbooks looking for some recipes to post on 'zaar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg shin beef, cut into large chunks
- 100 g bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, washed and chopped
- 1 cup tomato puree (or 2 T gently fried tomato paste)
- 1 -2 star anise
- 1 piece orange rind (use a potato peeler, wide strip)
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 turnips or 2 swedes, peeled and chopped
- 1Perheat the oven to 200°C.
- 2Throw all the ingredients into a really big casserole. Add enough water to cover (about 1 litre or a little less should be right) and about 2 teaspoons salt.
- 3Turn the oven down to 160C, pop the lid on the casserole and cook for about 3 hours or so. (Much of this time - about 1 hour - the casserole is coming up to heat so to speed things up you can bring it to a simmer on the stove in a flame proof dish).
- 4Check for salt, add a few grinds of black pepper and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Casserole With Spice
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 778.3
- Calories from Fat 328
- Total Fat 36.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 127.0 mg
- Sodium 466.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 60.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: