Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
These tasty morsels are the perfect way to start off a dinner party or to serve with drinks - they're never around for very long. I like to hand them around to my mates when we're watching the footy on TV.
- You will need 8 bamboo skewers for this recipe. Before you start, soak them in hot water for appproximately 20 minutes.
- Slice the steak lengthways into 5mm thick strips. When you lay them flat, they will be 2.5 cm wide and about 12 cm long, depending upon the length of your steak. Place the steak strips into a bowl with the soy sauce, sugar and vinegar. Stir well together and leave to marinate for at least 15 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the satay sauce: place the peanuts and the garlic and the food processor and whizz until very finely chopped. Add the coconut cream and whizz again until well blended. Pour into a small pan and heat gently for 3-4 minutes until the sauce darkens and thickens slightly. Add the soy sauce and lime juice to taste, then remove from the heat.
- Thread the steak onto the bamboo skewers-make a concertina with each strip so that each skewer passes through several times-and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Cook under a hot grill for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned but still pink in the centre. You can cook them longer if you like your steak beeter done.
- Pour the warm satay sauce into a serving bowl and sprinkle with the crushed chillies. Arrange the beef sticks on a platter, garnish with corriander or salad onions and serve with the sauce for dipping.
Lene, Thanks for a great post! I doubled the amount of marinade but it probably didn't need it. And the Satay Sauce was delish! I hate buying the jar stuff as it is full of preservatives and MSG. This recipe was very, very tasty and quite easy to make. Thanks! <3