Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
Very stick. Inspired by Martin Boetz's cookbook, Longrain Modern Thai Food. SO I guess it comes under the category of moden Australian or something. Just try it. :D Note: if you can't get galangal, then just used the equal amount of ginger, so that you'll have 8cm of ginger in total.
- 50 ml oil
- 8 (180 g) short beef ribs
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 4 cm piece galangal, sliced
- 4 cm piece lemongrass, finely sliced
- 4 cm piece ginger, sliced
- 6 tablespoons fish sauce
- 120 g palm sugar or 120 g brown sugar
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and bruised
- 2 liters chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 4 small red chilies or 4 small green chilies
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro leaf, to serve
- 1⁄2 bunch Thai basil, torn to serve
- 2 limes, cut into cheeks, to serve
- steamed rice, to serve
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok or frying pan over medium heat. Brown ribs for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Remove ribs from pan.
- Add onion to pan and cook for 3 min or until soft and golden.
- Place onion, ribs, galangal, ginger, lemon grass, fish sauce, sugar, garlic, stock, tamarind and chillies in a very large ovenproof dish. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and bake in the oven for at least 2 hrs (and remove lid for last 10 min) or until ribs are very tender.
- To serve, sprinkle ribs with cilantro and basil and accompany with lime cheeks and rice.