1/1 Photo of Beef With Black Bean Sauce
Peter J's Note:
Every time I get Chinese takeaway the black bean sauce is thick, tasty and plentiful, but every time I see a recipe for a black bean dish it has a thin sauce. This is my attempt at fixing it, the way I've done a few things is fairly unconventional, but makes it super easy to put together once the sauce has been made and you don't need to worry about the meat overcooking while the sauce thickens. I was originally going to use a can of mixed Asian stir-fry veggies in the sauce but the store didn't have any so I've listed what I used but go ahead and use whatever sounds good. If using fresh you can also saute at the same time as the onion and garlic. Note the recipe gives quite a strong and salty sauce that is great soaked up with with plenty of rice, if you like a fairly mild black bean sauce reduce the black bean paste for the sauce to 1/4 cup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs rump steak, cut into cubes (approx 750g)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (any oil will be OK)
For the marinade
For the sauce
- 1Mix marinade ingredients in a bowl, stir through steak cubes to coat well and marinate for 30-60 minutes.
- 2For the sauce heat oil in a large saucepan and lightly saute the onion and garlic until soft.
- 3Remove from heat, add all other sauce ingredients and mix well. At this stage if you like you can place the sauce in the refrigerator for later.
- 4Heat oil in a wok or frypan and cook beef until done to your liking, it won't be cooked much further so make sure it is done but being cubed it doesn't take long to cook.
- 5Return sauce to medium heat and stir until sauce starts to thicken. Allow it to bubble but not boil hard, this step will take about 5 minutes.
- 6Place cooked beef in the saucepan and warm through and mix for a few minutes.
- 7Serve over cooked plain rice with generous lashings of the sauce.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef With Black Bean Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 427.9
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 127.5 mg
- Sodium 93.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 36.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black bean paste
black bean paste