I have won taste and presentation competitions with this cake and have been using this recipe for years. This cake is the BEST EVER!
- Prepare round 20cm baking tin by buttering/oiling surface and the placing grease paper in base and sides.
- Using electric beaters, beat butter and sugar and sifted icing sugar in small mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs gradually beating thoroughly after each addition. Add essence and jam, beat until combined.
- Transfer mixture to large mixing bowl. Using a metal spoon, fold in sifted flour, cocoa and soda alternately with milk. Stir until just combined and the mixture is almost smooth.
- Pour into prepared tin, smooth surface. Bake for 45 minutes in 180 degrees Celsius oven or until skewer comes out clean when inserted in centre. (Please do not overcook your cake as it will dry out!).