Cook1 hr 30 mins
Layers of potato and onion cooked in butter and stock. A delicious savoury potato dish that makes a great accompaniment to meat, fish, or vegetarian dishes. To make the dish more substantial, add some grated cheese, sprinkled over the top just before you bake it. The chilli flakes are optional! Adapted from "Potato - a celebration of the world's most versatile vegetable", by Alex Barker and Sally Mansfield
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease base and sides of 1.5 litre ovenproof dish.
- Line dish with some of the sliced potatoes.
- Scatter some onions and garlic on top.
- Season to taste.
- Layer the remaining potatoes and onions, seasoning between each layer.
- Push vegetables down into dish and sprinkle with chilli flakes.
- Pour stock over and bake in oven for 1.5 hours, covering with foil after 1 hour if top starts to over brown.
- Serve with parsley and plenty of salt and pepper sprinkled over the top.