1/4 Photos of Braised Lamb Shanks
3 hrs 20 mins
I spent an day looking after a family members home while workmen were there to install a new security entranceway (they are away on holiday) so to keep me busy I decided to go through their cookbooks looking for some recipes to post on 'zaar..
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 lamb shanks (about 250g each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 400 g tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- 200 ml dry red wine
- 200 ml port wine
- 1 liter beef stock
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C.
- 2Using a morter and pestle, roughly crush the cumin and coriander seeds until fragrant. Add salt and mix well.
- 3Sprinkle over the lamb shanks and press on to coat.
- 4In a large deep heavy based, oven proof dish, heat the oil over medium heat and brown the shanks well. Remove and set aside.
- 5Place the onion, carrot and celery in the same dish and saute over medium heat until soft. Add the garlic, tomatoes and stir.
- 6Pour in the wine and port, stir then add the beef stock. Bring to the boil then turn off the heat.
- 7Return the lamb to the pan, cover with aluminium foil and place in the oven for 3 hours or until the meat almost falls off the bone.
- 8Remove from the oven and lift out the shanks. Set aside and keep warm.
- 9Skim as much fat as you can off the surface of the cooking liquid and return to the stove top over medium heat to simmer and reduce to a slightly syrupy consistency.
- 10Serve with mashed potatoes or polenta.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Lamb Shanks
Serving Size: 1 (802 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 870.0
- Calories from Fat 382
- Total Fat 42.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 242.1 mg
- Sodium 1745.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 76.7 g