Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine and I'm storing it here to make at a later date. One cup is 250ml and an Australian tablespoon is 20ml.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 frenched lamb shanks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons dried chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a large pan to medium heat, add lamb shanks 3 at a time and brown on all sides. Remove from pan and put in a larger casserole dish.
- Add the onion and garlic to pan, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the zest, juice, rosemary, stock, wine and tomato paste, stir to combine.
- Bring slowly to the boil, boil for 2 minutes, reduce to a simmer.
- Pour the orange juice mixture over the lamb shanks, cover and cook in oven for 2 hours.
- Uncover, spoon on the chilli dumpling mixture, cover and return to oven.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the dumplings are well risen.
- To make the chilli dumplings.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, add the chilli and salt, stir to combine. Make a well in the centre, pour in the buttermilk, stir with a table knife until a soft dough forms.