1/7 Photos of Broccoli and Garlic Breadcrumb Spaghetti
bluemoon downunder's Note:
This fast-to-make pasta dish is a good way to use up leftover stale bread and, at the same time, to include a healthy green vegetable in your diet! Adapted from a recipe in 'The Australian Women's Weekly's Cooking on a Shoestring'. Adjust the garlic to your liking and don't include the lemon juice if you don't care for citrus flavours! You could, of course, use another vegetable in place of the broccoli and you could add onion. If you're not keen on cumin, omit it and add a favourite herb. I've also posted my adaptations of some other recipes from 'Cooking on a Shoestring': Potato and Rosemary Pizza and Smashed Roast Potato and Thyme Gratin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 slices day-old white bread
- 500 g spaghetti (16 ounces)
- 300 g broccoli, cut int florets (91/2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup olive oil (80ml/81/2 fl.oz. )
- 50 g butter (11/2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shaved (20g/11/2 ounces)
- 1Remove and discard the crusts from the bread; process the bread until it is fine (actually if the bread is a commercially produced sandwich loaf, I've always found it's fine to include the crusts). Use your culinary discretion.
- 2Cook the pasta in a larg saucepan of boiling water until it is tender, and drain.
- 3Meanwhile boil, steam or microwave the broccoli until tender, and drain.
- 4Heat the oil, butter and lemon juice (if using) in a large (preferably non-stick) pan; add the cumin and make sure that it is mixed through the breadcrumbs; cook the breadcrumbs and garlic until they are browned and slightly crisp.
- 5Combine the pasta, broccoli and breadcrumbs in a large bowl.
- 6Serve sprinkled with the shaved parmesan.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli and Garlic Breadcrumb Spaghetti
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1058.8
- Calories from Fat 329
- Total Fat 36.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 37.7 mg
- Sodium 806.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 150.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 31.4 g