Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
We made this today as a treat after Sunday lunch and everyone loved it. Served with homemade icecream and my personal favourite, cream! This recipe is posted in Australian measurements so 1 tablespoons equals 20ml (or 4 teaspoons).
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 1.5 litre (6 cup) ovenproof dish with butter.
- Combine 1/4 cup of the brown sugar and all of the flour in a bowl.
- Add the melted butter, slightly beaten egg, milk and 2 tablespoons of the golden syrup and stir until combined.
- Spoon into the greased dish.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 cup of brown sugar and cornflour. Sprinkle over the pudding mixture.
- Combine boiling water with the remaining 2 tablespoons of golden syrup.
- Pour over the top of the pudding mixture and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Serve with double cream or ice cream.
Oh my,,,this was delicious comfort food, better than the syrup sponge I thought it would be. The sponge was light and the sauce rich and butterscotchy!!! The only change I made was to use my gluten free flour mix and 1 teaspoon of baking powder, I didn't even have to alter the temp or timing to cater for the changes, it was perfect. Thank you for sharing.
me and my mum made this tonight and it was gorgeous!!! i feel very sorry for you kiwidutch that your's didnt go right because it was delicous maybe try it again because it is worth it. thankyou jewelies
This tasted ok-ish for us but we were rather dissapointed in the sauce.. we followed the recipe to the letter and the sauce turned out quite glutinous and very thick rather than the liquid fluid sauce that we were expecting, Also we were very surprised that the flavour of the golden syrup was not more prounounced (our guests were delighted to know that it contained golden syrup beforehand but agreed that they could bearly taste it in the pudding in the end) We all despirately wanted this to be as good as the other reviews and, our expectations, sadly none wanted seconds and several guests left half on their plates. Maybe the shape of the oven dish makes a big difference to the outcome??? Since others had COMPLETE and total success with this recipe PLEASE don't let my review put you off in any way, try for yourself. The recipe was very simple to make. Maybe I just had an off day in the kitchen? Please see my Rating System: 3 lovely stars for a recipe that we loved to try becuase we liked the sound of it but which didn't work the best for us in the end. Thanks!