1 hr 30 mins
A nice hearty one pot soup. I love the flavour of smoked bacon in soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g smoked streaky bacon, in the piece with the rind removed
- 12 small potatoes, halved
- 12 baby carrots, halved
- 6 small turnips, halved (golf ball sized)
- 6 tiny onions, quartered
- 500 g green beans, cut int 3 cm pieces
- 250 g peas (frozen is fine)
- 1/2 savoy cabbage (or other green, loose leaf cabbage)
- freshly ground black pepper
- grated nutmeg
- 1Put the bacon, carrot, turnip and onion in a large pan,and cover with cold water.
- 2Bring to the boil, and then simmer very gently for 45 minutes.
- 3Raise the heat to boiling, then add the beans and peas.
- 4After 5 minutes, add the cabbage and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- 5Lift out the bacon, and cut into small pieces and return to the pot.
- 6Taste for salt-I don't think you'll need to add any-and season with pepper and nutmeg.
- 7Serve with good crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cabbage and Bacon Soup
Serving Size: 1 (739 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 846.3
- Calories from Fat 319
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 91.6 mg
- Sodium 2011.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.8 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 43.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: