Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A nice hearty one pot soup. I love the flavour of smoked bacon in soup.
Make and share this Cabbage and Bacon Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 500 g smoked streaky bacon, in the piece with the rind removed
- 12 small potatoes, halved
- 12 baby carrots, halved
- 6 small turnips, halved (golf ball sized)
- 6 tiny onions, quartered
- 500 g green beans, cut int 3 cm pieces
- 250 g peas (frozen is fine)
- 1⁄2 savoy cabbage (or other green, loose leaf cabbage)
- freshly ground black pepper
- grated nutmeg
- Put the bacon, carrot, turnip and onion in a large pan,and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil, and then simmer very gently for 45 minutes.
- Raise the heat to boiling, then add the beans and peas.
- After 5 minutes, add the cabbage and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Lift out the bacon, and cut into small pieces and return to the pot.
- Taste for salt-I don't think you'll need to add any-and season with pepper and nutmeg.
- Serve with good crusty bread.