Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I started making this 30+ years ago for the DH - from a Nestles condensed milk can, the DH prefers it without the chocolate topping so I have omitted it, never done it. I've only recently just started to make this again for him, don't know why I stopped doing so in the first place, so it has been a rediscovery.
- For Base - Preheat oven to 180C/160Cfan forced/350°F.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Press firmly into a tray (I use one 27cm x 18cm - approximately 10 1/2" x 7") .
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes (should have a slight golden colour and still soft to the touch).
- Let cool while making filling.
- Filling - Put all ingredients into a small saucepan and cook over low heat till butter melted and well combined and takes on a golden colour (about 3 to 5 minutes).
- Pour over biscuit base and return to the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutting.
Very and very tasty. These have wonderful coconutty, caramelly sweet flavor and are nice n chewy. I was told by DH that these disappeared in the blink of an eye once his crew got wind of them. Thanks for a lovely bar, Pat.
Sooooooo yummy, Was very easy to make and even better to eat, I will make again and again. THankyou
Delicious! This bar tastes like a super-easy substitute for my grandmother's burnt sugar cake. I'm afraid I shouldn't have used the sweetened coconut though, because my crust is considerably thinner than the one in Jubes' photos. I had both kinds of coconut on hand & knew I should have used unsweetened. ;) I will next time! I subbed light corn syrup for the golden syrup & used dark brown sugar. I also made use of my Perfect Brownie Pan, but wish I'd refrigerated the baked bars before pressing the cutter down into them, as the soft caramel topping was pushed down slightly when I did that. Presentation aside, these bars are so rich & so addicting that I can't stay out of them! I agree, they don't need any chocolate at all. We'll be making them again & again! Thanks for sharing, Pat! Made & enjoyed for March's TOTM Sweet Delights Tag Game. http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=328245&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0