1 hr 10 mins
Neighbourhood Classic - If your mum could make it perfect, she was a legend. Got to admit, Auntie Kay made the best (don't tell mum). A Caramel Slice with just the right amount of coconut in a rich and just-crumbly-enough base - where the caramel is gooey but holds its shape and the chocolate is rich but easy to cut into
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C Lightly grease and line a 20 x 30cm baking tin with non-stick baking paper.
- 2Melt 125g of the butter. Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl, add coconut, caster sugar and melted butter and stir until well combined.
- 3Press the mixture firmly into the base of tin, place in oven and bake for 12 minutes or until light golden.
- 4Meanwhile, place the remaining butter, brown sugar, condensed milk, golden syrup and vanilla extract in a medium size saucepan over a low heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar, bring to the boil then continue to cook, stirring over a low heat, for a further 5 minutes or until light golden. Remove from heat and pour evenly over base.
- 5Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
- 6Once caramel is cool, place chocolate and the extra butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water, stirring occasionally until chocolate has melted. Spread chocolate evenly over the caramel.
- 7Refrigerate till the chocolate has set, cut into squares.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Slice - Mmmmm Just Like Autie Kay's
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 444.7
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 48.9 mg
- Sodium 122.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 49.9 g
- Protein 7.5 g