Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Delicious lemon tart with caramalised sugar topping. I found this in an old Australian Gourmet Traveller magazine. You can use limes instead of lemons, or a combination of both if you prefer.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 100 g unsalted butter, cold & chopped
- 2 egg yolks, yolks only
- 5 eggs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for brushing pastry
- 200 g caster sugar
- 200 ml double cream
- 3 lemons, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar, for dusting
- Pastry: - Sift flour and sugar in food processor, add butter and process until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add egg yolks and 1 tablespoon iced water and process until it comes together.
- Form dough into disc and wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Roll out and cover a 22 cm (8 ¾ - 9 inches) flan tin with a removable base and chill for 20 minutes.
- Line with baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice and cook for 20 minutes at 180 deg C (350 deg F).
- Brush with beaten egg and bake a further 5 minutes and reduce oven to 150 deg C (300 deg F).
- Filling: - Place eggs and sugar in a bowl, whisk well and add cream, zest and strained juice and combine well.
- Pour into pastry shell and bake at 150 deg C (300 deg F) for 15 minutes or until set.
- Remove and cool in tin to room temperature.
- Dust heavily with sifted icing sugar then using a blow torch lightly caramalise top, or pop under the griller (broiler).
- This will keep refrigerated and in an air tight container for 2 days.