1/3 Photos of Carolanne's Shepherd's Pie
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from my friend, Carolanne, who is from New Zealand. The idea was that for a Sunday Roast, in New Zealand, the family would have a roast leg of lamb. One of the meals prepared from leftovers was shepherds pie. As leftovers, you would include not just the meat, but also the mashed potatoes, the gravy, and vegetables, usually carrots and maybe peas, depending on the season. You can substitute ground beef for the lamb is you prefer. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks. Cook in a large pan of boiling water for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Drain the potato well and return to the pan over low heat, and stir to evaporate any excess water. Remove from the heat, add the butter and milk, and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Season with salt and cracked pepper. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and just beginning to colour. Add the ground lamb (mince), increase the heat and cook until browned, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon as the meat cooks.
- 3Add the carrot to the pan and cook for a few minutes until just tender. Sprinkle on the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Slowly add the stock, stirring constantly. Add the Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the gravy thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the peas and transfer the mixture to a 2L ovenproof dish.
- 4Spoon the mashed potato onto the meat mixture and spread out evenly. Use a fork to swirl the surface. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the potato is golden.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carolanne's Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.4
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 72.8 mg
- Sodium 133.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 18.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: