Cook1 hr 15 mins
This is a beautiful light flavoursome cake, originally from the Australian Women's Weekly "More Cake and Slices" cookbook. I use a mixture of walnuts and hazlenuts, and use grapeseed oil as the vegetable oil. Keeps well and is great in lunchboxes.
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, or hazlenuts)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Pre-heat oven to 160C (325F).
- Grease 24cm round springform tin, line base with baking paper.
- Sift flours, baking soda, spices and sugar into large bowl, stir in carrot and nuts.
- Beat eggs and oil together and add to dry ingredients, together with banana.
- Mix well.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin.
- Bake for about 1 1/4 hours.
- Cool cake in pan.