1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 5 mins
bluemoon downunder's Note:
An elegant and deliciously moist cake ideally made in a bundt pan; or if you don't have a bundt pan, use a 22cm-base pan. I found this recipe in the October 2005 edition of the cooking magazine 'Australian Good Taste' and I have posted it here for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. The preparation and cooking times below do not include the 15 minutes cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- melted butter, to grease
- plain flour, to dust
- 1 large carrot, about 175g, end trimmed
- 1 large green zucchini, about 175g, ends trimmed
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons orange rind, grated
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 2/3 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1Preheat the oven to 180ºC, brush a 2 litre (8-cup) capacity bundt pan with melted butter to lightly grease, dust with flour and shake off any excess.
- 2Use the grater attachment on your food processor to finely grate the carrot and zucchini, place the carrot-zucchini mixture in a clean tea towl and squeeze out all excess moisture, then transfer to a large bowl.
- 3Place the walnuts in the clean bowl of the food processor and process until finely chopped. Add to the carrot mixture.
- 4Place the egg, sugar,oil and orange rind and juice in the bowl of the food processor and process until light and frothy. Sift over the flour and cinnamon and process until just combined. Add to the carrot mixture and use a large metal spoon to gently fold until just combined. Spoon into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- 5Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly before turning onto a wire rack.
- 6Fudge Icing: Meanwhile, to make the fudge icing, place the sugar, butter and cream in a medium saucepan over a medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until the butter melts. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes or until the fudge thickens slightly. Remove from the heat, add the vanilla and stir to combine. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly.
- 7To Serve: Transfer the cake to a serving plate and drizzle with fudge icing.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot, Zucchini & Walnut Cake With Fudge Icing
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 834.3
- Calories from Fat 529
- Total Fat 58.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 116.0 mg
- Sodium 393.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 48.9 g
- Protein 8.3 g