Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Deliciously simply and very easy to prepare. I got this recipe from an Australian ABC TV show. Time does not allow for standing time (3hrs)
- 1 kg baby octopus (uncooked)
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- 300 ml white wine
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 250 ml virgin olive oil
- 100 ml balsamic vinegar
- 50 ml white wine
- 50 ml lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- fresh ground black pepper
- Bring stock, wine and lemon juice to the boil, add the octopus and simmer gently until octopus is tender. Drain and cool.
- Mix all marinade ingredients together. Pour over cooked octopus and let stand for at least three hours or preferably overnight.
- Heat barbecue or char grill till very hot and quickly sear the octopus until crispy.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with wedges of lemon.
This recipe is fantastic! I chose it because I liked the cooking process as I have made octopus twice before but it always came out like old boots! The octopus was very tender and I barbecued the final stage which gave it a lovely crispy texture. It really impressed my dinner guests and the four kids, aged 4-7, at the table were fighting over the last pieces! Will definitely make it a staple in my house.
This was fantastic and so simple! I love grilled octopus but have never had baby octopus and bought some on a whim. I was searching everywhere for a baby octopus recipe and found yours. The flavors were perfect. I only had one small problem and that was cooking them on the grill. They were so small that when I put them in the grill basket they kept falling through! I ended up grilling them on foil but they didn't get charred or crispy. Nevertheless, they tasted awesome and I realised that the way I ended up cooking them would be great for serving in a salad. Thanks for this fabulous recipe. I'll have to give it a go again maybe under the grill in the oven this time.