1/4 Photos of Chef Flower's How Do I Make Grill Marks on a Steak?
Chef floWer's Note:
I have been often asked how I cook steaks to get the perfect grill marks on the meat. My secret is my pan, it's a 'Jamie Oliver hard Anodised Shark's Tooth Grill' by Tefal. This recipe is simple but I have been getting many requests to post the recipe. I make it all the time for Hubby and Little Miss (DD)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove beef from the fridge for about 10 minutes or bring it to room temperature.
- 2Spray olive oil cooking spray all over the pan and then heat pan until its hot.
- 3Season with salt and pepper to your liking and add beef to the pan. Cook one side of the beef until red juices appear, spray olive oil on the raw side and turn beef. Cook other side to your liking. Only turn beef once!
- 4Serve the beef straight from the pan with the salad or vegetables.
- 6Note: To get the kriss-cross effect on the steak, lift steak and move it the opposite way allow to cook a further few minutes, then turn the steak the raw side, remember only turn beef once but moving it twice on the same side is OK if you want the kriss-cross effect.
- 7Stages of cooking steak:.
- 8Blue rare or very rare - Cooked very quickly, the outside is seared, but the inside is usually cool and still raw. (Cook to about 46°C inside).
- 9Rare - The outside is grey-brown, and the middle of the steak is red and somewhat warm. (Cook to about 50°C inside).
- 10Rare plus - The outside is grey-brown, and the middle of the steak is mainly red and warm, with some pink. (Cook to about 52.5°C inside).
- 11Medium rare - The steak will have a fully red, warm centre and the outside is grey-brown. (Cook to 55°C inside).
- 12Medium - The middle of the steak is hot and pink surrounding the centre. the outside is grey-brown. (Cook to 60°C inside).
- 13Medium well - The meat is light pink surrounding the centre and the outside is grey-brown. (Cook to 65°C inside).
- 14Well done - The meat is grey-brown all the way through on the inside and slightly charred on the outside. (Cook to about 70°C inside).
- 15Cremated - The meat on the inside is brown, no traces of pink or red should appear, the outside is brown-black.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chef Flower's How Do I Make Grill Marks on a Steak?
Serving Size: 1 (1 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 724.9
- Calories from Fat 532
- Total Fat 59.1 g
- Saturated Fat 23.5 g
- Cholesterol 175.0 mg
- Sodium 155.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 44.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
filet of beef