1/1 Photo of Chef Flower's Turkish Cypriot Taro Casserole - Kibrisli Kolokas
Chef floWer's Note:
This is a traditional Cypriot Turkish recipe, that past generations have been cooking. My mother is away so my friend has given me the recipe. *** Thanks Bet's *** I think my mother also uses diced celery ribs but I can't be sure. Note: There are few varieties of Taro, but this dish is normally used with colocasia root. Enjoy
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 600 g chicken pieces or 600 g chicken breasts, chopped to bite size pieces
- 400 g taro root, peel dark skin, wash, chopped to bite size pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 140 grams)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (400 g) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock, may need more
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- coriander (optional) or cilantro (optional)
- 1Add 1/3 of the olive oil in a sallow pot, heat, add chicken and brown, remove chicken in a medium size heat resistant bowl and set aside.
- 2Add 1/3 of the olive oil in the same pot, heat, add taro and slightly brown, remove taro in a different medium size heat resistant bowl and set aside.
- 3Add 1/3 of the olive oil in the same pot, heat, and add onion until lightly brown, then return the chicken to the pot and mix.
- 4Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes & chicken stock. Reduce heat and to boil.
- 5Add lemon and taro, mix gently.
- 6Add salt and pepper.
- 7Simmer for 30 minutes but stir occasionally.
- 8NOTE: You may need to top up the casserole with chicken stock during the 30 minutes, the sauce will become dry if you don't and potentially burn the recipe. Sauce needs to be thick and lots of it.
- 9You can either add coriander/cilantro into the recipe or use it as garnish.
- 10Serve with crusty bread & garden salad or a plain Turkish pilaf.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chef Flower's Turkish Cypriot Taro Casserole - Kibrisli Kolokas
Serving Size: 1 (542 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 609.5
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 116.2 mg
- Sodium 357.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 34.1 g