Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this recipe in the nursing mothers association cookbook. I have been giving this to my family once a month and they look forward to it. While it might not be the most glamerous dish. Its really yummy and my kids love it
- Melt butter and saute onions until soft. Sift flour and seasonings into the mixture and cook for 1 minute.
- Add milk and cream.
- Stir until the sauce thickens.
- Cook 2 minutes.
- Fold chicken and ham (or bacon) and turn into a greased casserole dish.
- Top with bread crumbs and cheese.
- Bake at 190 degrees c until top is golden brown.
- When making this meal for my family, I usually double it.
This recipe has such simple ingredients, yet it was a hit with my man. He took the leftovers for lunch the next day and continued to sing its praises when he got home. It will be back on our dinner table. Thank you.
I have picky children when it comes to eating and both of mine loved it. I could taste the onion ( I am not an onion lover so next time I will use 1/2 an onion but that is only my preference)but my husband said it was just right!! I followed the recipe but used bacon instead of ham as that is what I had. Thanks for the recipe we will be having this often as they enjoyed it so much!!
Delicious just as posted, I didn't change a thing! I have a posted recipe similar to this one (Chicken and Ham Stuffing Casserole Chicken and Ham Stuffing Casserole); the major difference is that this recipe is minus the stuffing. This was a nice change because your recipe was great served over egg noodles with a side of mixed veggies. This would also be good over rice. Thanks for a nice recipe for dinner on a rainy, cool fall-like evening! This is a keeper.